Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Bienville Street Studio

Yesterday I had the chance to visit The Bienville Street Studio and poke around while work was going on as I watched. I have often wondered what it would be like to be a part of a working studio again. It has been a long, long time since I actually had a scheduled time and day to paint and I miss that a lot. Now I paint a bit on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays in the back offices of the shop. It isn't a bad setup by any stretch of the imagination, but it is a lonely pursuit of a craft.
There is something magic about being in the collective whirlpool of creativity and bouncing ideas off the walls with someone else or many someones else. I could see this in action yesterday as Jennifer and one of her fellow studio residents, Betsy, worked on their current pieces. Piled all around was the evidence that good things happen here!
It was truly inspiring to see all the work stacked against the walls and hanging around the studio. It was even more inspiring to think that I could do this, too! Jennifer has done some truly beautiful things and you should definitely visit her website for a look at some examples of her work.
I think I see the beginnings of a new work - deadline is Friday, Jennifer!!

2 comments:

j-ro said...

you should see it today- it's a very strange painting for me but i'm kindof digging it!! thanks for the post and for coming by- our doors are always open for you and nat.

Karen said...

take a picture when you have it at the "ah ha" point - I want to see it too!